Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Pug Harley

For the past 3-4 months we've been looking at getting a pug.  I've been searching online through petfinder and local rescue groups to find the right one that would fit in our home.  We've met a few, found a few that looked good but were already adopted.

Earlier this week I found Harley.  He is a 6-7 yr old Pug that was originally found as a stray.  He was adopted out but returned because the previous owners weren't able to house break him.  When they brought him back to the shelter the shelter found he had a urinary tract infection which will cause potty issues.  The shelter had him on antibiotics and we are going to continue those until his treatment is completed.  So far so good he hasn't had any accidents but of course we've been taking him out every 30 minutes.  We'll see how the night goes.  We went to meet him on Friday night.  We brought Scooby to meet him too to make sure that they would get along.  The meeting went well and Nerdus who makes the ultimate decision was twitterpated.  At 6:30 the adoption specialist came in and said not to rush us but they quit doing adoptions at 6:30pm a 1/2 hour to close.  We were like we'll take him.  So I went up to fill out the remainder of the paperwork, pay and be able to take him home.

So I went up front to finish the adoption process and this is what happened.
The employee said I'm sorry we can't finish the adoption tonight due to budget cuts.  Huh?  I said and the guy said that due to budget cuts he wouldn't be able to finish the adoption today because he couldn't pay the vet techs over time.  So I explained that I had already filled out the adoption application been approved so what else was there to do?  I had cash I was ready to pay.  I wasn't getting what the issue was.  He said he just couldn't do it that he's hold Harley for us to get tomorrow and we'd have to come back.  All this happened by 6:40.  They close at 7pm. I was really furious.  Why are you even open until 7pm if you aren't willing to do adoptions. Isn't it in the dogs best interest to be adopted?  Nerdus even tried his persuasive magic but since it was a government shelter there was nothing to be done.

I almost didn't want to go back. Obviously they didn't want to adopt him to us right?  Nerdus and the girls were going to go back even if I didn't to go pick him up.  They were love.  So we went back and picked him up.

Now it's only been one day but he's been wonderful. He's super mellow and cuddle bug and doesn't bark (yay!!) and gets along with Scooby (my main man).  He's great with the girls and loves just laying on their laps. No potty issues as yet but I'm hyper vigilant right now.
The only one not happy is Seraphina the cat.  She hissed at him when he sniffed her and he jumped back and has left her alone since.  Smart dog.

His name is harley but I want to rename him Batman but Nerdus thinks that's a stupid name so I'm thinking Harvey because it reminds me of Jimmy Stewart and a movie he made with the title "Harvey".  A excellent movie is suggest you see if  you haven't.

I'll post pics later the stupid computer won't let me.  Jerk.

No comments: