Horsegirl has been asking and asking to go on a Mommy daughter date. This weekend we finally got a chance to. We went to the mall. Very exciting. She got her ears re-pierced at Claires. She left earrings out of her ears too long and her ears have been closed for quite some time. We also went to Sephora and I got some fun new base from Bobbi Brown. I've been a Lancome girl for a long time so this is a big change and I'm a little excited about it. Then to finish up we went to Godiva for some delicious chocolate covered strawberries.
From the mall we went out to lunch. At lunch Horsegirl and I had a very serious conversation about piercings and tattoos. She wanted to know when she'd be allowed to get her ears double pierced. My response was 18. She also wanted to know when she could get her upper ear cartilage pierced. My response 18. She didn't understand why she has to be so old, since a friend of hers at school already has multiple ear piercings even her cartilage (mind you they're in the 4th grade). My response was that I was not that girls mother so I didnt' have a say in what was or wasn't pierced.
I went on to say that once you put a hole in your body or ink in your skin that it's permanent. Final. Even if you have the tattoo removed or take the ring out of the piercing you will have a scar. A permanent reminder. I told her it could affect your career options when you're older. I look at these young people who have their ears with those huge rings in them. And I think that even if they took those out they'd have to have some sort of surgery to fix the damage. Their ear lobes will just dangle and frankly that's not a good look for anyone.e
I hope I made some sort of impact. That said I do secretly desire to get a nose ring. Nerdus says no, so I guess not.
Nerdus' surprise present arrived today. Mandles. What are Mandles you ask. They are Man Candles. They come in a variety of manly scents like campfire, grass, gun powder etc. I got him those specific scents and he was uber excited to get them. they will go into his man cave.
We also went to Amish country this weekend. I was looking for a lace shop, which I did not find. We did go to the Amish Flea market. I found it online and thought the pictures looked like fun. Usually when I think flea market I think YUCK! But the pictures looked really good and not junky or yucky at all. It was terrible. It was junk and yuck and there was only 1 good store. I didn't buy anything though. The only things I wanted were furniture and $120 pictures and I just couldnt' rationalize spending that much money in Amish country. Nerdus however bought nun chucks. Yes, nun chucks. He apparently had the same set as a child. Horsegirl a touch Lamp that came in some fantastic designs such as wolves, unicorns, hunting scenes, and tacky native American scenes. She chose the most tasteful pattern, a leaf pattern. Supergirl got a fake aquarium which is actually pretty cool.
After all the fun at the flea market we sacrificed and went to Derr Dutchman for lunch. Delicious. I got a slice of peanut butter pie which grosses out my family but it's so delicious.
I also picked up my shawl this weekend. I was bolstered by comments from my sister L. She said something like "it probably won't be that bad, it also probably won't take as long as you think". I did 7 rows and put it down in a irritated state. I need to move on for a little bit I think. Try another project for awhile but my one project at a time personality won't let me. Sigh